Apple Cider Vinegar is often praised by health enthusiasts for the multitude of benefits it provides. Let’s take a look at how the vinegar is made and some of the health benefits, proven and otherwise.
It is made by combining crushed apples, water and yeast at room temperature over a couple of weeks. The mixture ferments and turns the sugars into alcohol. Then bacteria is added to ferment the alcohol even further and turn it into acetic acid, the main active compound in the vinegar. Some Apple Cider Vinegars (Organic unfiltered varieties) often contains strands of protein, enzymes and gut friendly bacteria.
Proven benefits of Apple Cider Vinegar:
1. Kills bacteria – the acid in the vinegar can kill harmful bacteria and prevent it from growing. For this reason it has been used as a disinfectant throughout history, and works as a great natural preservative for foods.
2. Improves insulin sensitivity and lowers blood sugar and insulin levels after meals – many studies have shown that vinegar after meals can improve insulin reaction and lower blood sugar levels. This has made the vinegar popular amongst diabetics, pre-diabetics, and others with blood sugar problems.
3. Assist in weight loss – studies have shown that when consuming vinegar along with a meal, participants felt fuller for longer and in turn this resulting in weight loss over time as they were consuming less calories.
4. Lowers cholesterol and improves heart health – most studies have been completed in animals at this point, but have shown vinegar use to reduce blood triglycerides, cholesterol and blood pressure.
5. Anti-fungal Treatment – has been shown to improve anti-fungal problems with application of the vinegar to the affected area.
Apple Cider Vinegar is being praised for other benefits too, however these ones are yet to be proven through any serious studies:
6. Hair & Skin – some users have reported using the vinegar in their hair has increased it’s shine, and some use to brighten complexion and treat acne.
7. Can alleviate heartburn – by relieving acid reflux.
8. Maintains pH balance – assisting the body with proper digestion and function.
9. Detoxes Liver
10. Prevents premature ageing – thanks to its strong antioxidant properties, and it’s PH balancing powers that improve bodily functions.
There have also been claims that Apple Cider Vinegar can prevent the growth of cancer cells, and can shrink tumour, however we must stress that this is an unproven study and these claims can’t be substantiated.
It is important to note that consistent use of vinegar can erode teeth enamel and some have reported that the vinegar causes nausea and a burning throat.
We always recommend you speak to a qualified health professional to discuss this product before introducing it into your diet.
Need some nutrition advice? We can help you decipher fact from fiction with a 1:1 nutritional guidance session. Click below to find out more about our nutrition services.